A Tenant Management Organisation (TMO) is an organisation set-up by tenants and/or leaseholders to manage their estate/block. Every council tenant in England and Wales has the right to manage the housing services they receive, this is set out in Government guidance.
Each TMO has its own legal contract with the Council, known as the Management Agreement. This agreement outlines what services the TMO is responsible for and what services the council is responsible for on a particular estate. The Management Agreement also gives the Council powers to monitor TMOs and to take action when a TMO is not performing. TMOs usually operate as a co-operative or non-profit making community company. The Council provides TMOs with their own local offices and office equipment including IT. TMOs employ their own staff to provide housing management services to their residents.
How many TMOs are in Hackney?
There are ten TMO estates in Hackney:
- Clapton Park
- Lordship South
- Wenlock Barn
- Wick Village
These TMOs range in size from 114 to over 1,477 homes. TMOs in Hackney have a role in managing services for 5,498 homes.
What services are TMOs responsible for in Hackney?
TMOs can choose how much or how little responsibility they want to take over from the Council. The services managed by TMOs vary but in Hackney, TMO managed services include:
· Day-to-day repairs and maintenance
· Tenancy management
· Grounds maintenance
· Rent collection and rent recovery.
In Hackney, the council and not the TMO are responsible for major works such as repairing the structure of buildings or installing fire safety equipment. Programs to replace kitchens, bathrooms, doors and windows also remain the responsibility of the council.
How are TMOs financed?
TMOs are paid an allowance by the Council which is dependent on the size of the TMO and the services it provides. How much allowance each TMO receives is determined Government guidance.
Are TMOs in Hackney responsible for fire safety?
As with all Hackney estates, most aspects of fire safety remain the responsibility of the Council as the landlord.
Hackney Council is responsible for:
- Conducting Fire Risk Assessments
- Maintaining fire safety equipment
- Maintaining the structure of buildings
- Maintenance of fire alarms and smoke detectors
- Maintaining fire safety signs
- Carrying out all repairs and improvements related to fire safety.
The TMOs role in fire safety is to work with residents to help prevent fire safety hazards, such as the blocking access and escape routes or fire hazards in properties. TMOs are also responsible for carrying our regular visual inspections of estates and reporting any concerns to the Council.
What do I do if I am unhappy with the services provided by my TMO?
TMOs in Hackney are all subject to the Council’s complaints procedure. If you have a complaint or concern about a TMO please register a complaint with the council.
How are TMOs regulated in Hackney?
TMOs in Hackney are closely regulated by the Council:
- A dedicated Council TMO team is responsible for the regulation and performance management of TMOs in Hackney
- Government guidance allows the Council to take action against TMOs which can result in the Council taking back certain services or, if necessary, closing the TMO and bringing all services on the estate back under the full control of the Council
- The Council’s TMO team undertakes an ‘annual review’ of each TMO. Where the Management Agreement is not being met, an action plan is agreed with the TMO Board which is monitored by the TMO team. Formal action can be taken against the TMO if necessary
- The Council’s Audit team undertakes audits of TMO governance every four years. The Council’s TMO team helps to monitor these audits and takes action if necessary.
- The Council has a named TMO Liaison Officer for each TMO and who regularly attends TMO board meetings and advises on governance and performance issues.
- TMO performance is monitored by the Council’s TMO team and is further scrutinised by the Tenancy and Leasehold Services Management Team.
For further information on TMOs in Hackney please email: email@example.com or, if you live on one of our ten TMO estates, contact your local TMO Office.